At our Traditional Christmas event in 2019, one of our costumed volunteers, Jenny made figgy pudding in our Haddenham cottage. Visitors were able to see the pudding being made in the Victorian kitchen and were able to help out with the stirring. Several people have asked for the recipe so here it is:
2 cooking apples
1lb dried figs
1 medium carrot
8 ozs butter
4 ozs soft brown sugar
6ozs wholemeal breadcrumbs
4 ozs wholemeal flour
grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons of black treacle
- Peel and core apples,cut into pieces.
- Put figs, apple and carrot through a fine mincer.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add breadcrumbs, flour,spice,minced fruit, lemon rind,juice ,treacle and eggs. Mix well , add a little milk if the mixture is too stiff.
- Put mixture into a 2pint greased pudding basin or 2 x 1 pint greased pudding basins.
- Cover with greased parchment/ greaseproof paper and muslin cloth.
- Place into a saucepan with boiling water halfway up the basin.
- Cover and steam for 5 hours, add more boiling water from time to time.
Enjoy making and please share the results of your baking with us on our Facebook page.